The ass-kicking that Democrats got in the 2010 mid-term elections was a direct result of not enough people on the left getting out the vote. Whole segments of people who voted for the Democrats and President Obama in 2008 simply stayed home 2 years later handing the House of Representatives over to the Republicans and seriously weakening the Senate. The result was the most obstructionist, unproductive, hateful, bull-shitty Congress in U.S. history.
So, it’s time for us right now to be very clear about what is at stake if we don’t get out the vote this year: The Republicans could win control of the Senate and keep control of the House.
If Republicans can do that, here is what they are planning:
Impeach President Obama
- Will Republicans Try to Impeach President Obama?
- Suggested articles of impeachment at ImpeachObamaCampaign.com
- Impeach President Obama & Remove Him From Office
Repeal the Affordable Care Act
- Portman: Republicans Still Want to Repeal and Replace Obamacare
- Count Jindal Unpersuaded: Repeal and Replace Obamacare
- Congressman James Lankford’s Campaign for Senate, his stand on “Obamacare”
Cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid
- The Ryan Budget’s Radical Priorities: Provides Largest Tax Cuts in History for Wealthy, Raises Middle Class Taxes, Ends Guaranteed Medicare, Privatizes Social Security, Erodes Health Care
Reduce women’s rights
- House Republicans Pass Sweeping Anti-Abortion Bill
- 10 Dangerous Anti-Abortion Bills That Are Already Gaining Traction This Year
- Why We Should Privatize Public Schools
- An Argument for Privatizing Public Schools
- Louisiana’s Bold Bid to Privatize Schools
Typically, those of us on the left get caught up in arguments and denials about such warnings arguing that surely no one would carry out such radical, destructive plans. That argument assumes a certain level of reason on the right that they just have not shown in a long time.
When was the last time that Republicans have NOT done the most destructive thing that many of us thought they would never do? About 20 years ago.